Friday, May 30, 2008

Coffee #2- Facts about Coffee


Today, I am going to open up by telling you about my experience with coffee, and then eventually turn my attention to some facts about the different types of coffee. If you were to ask me two years ago if I liked coffee, I would have looked at you with a face of disgust. As a little kid, I would probably visit my dad at his office around two or three times a week, and his secretary would make me a cup of coffee for some really weird reason that I still do not know to this day. Anyway, every time she would make me a cup of coffee I would without a doubt pour about ten oz. of sugar in it to try and cancel out the taste, but it never completely worked. Since then I would never try coffee, and thought that I would never try it again. What I did not know though was that I would be pulling all nights at college, and the only way that I could still function would be to drink coffee. I will definitely say that coffee is an acquired taste, and it took me about a month or so not to cringe after I took a sip. Now every time that I have coffee I know exactly how I like it. I like dark roasted beans with about three or four things of sugar and just a touch of milk.

I think that after being in Costa Rica for a month it will spoil my taste of coffee, so when I return to the states no coffee will be the same. When I was on my way down to Costa Rica on the plain, I had to try the last cup of "American" coffee so I could compare. I will admit that the coffee down here is usually a lot better then the coffee in the states. One thing that I learn about coffee last week while at Cafe Britt was that good coffee taste the same whether it is cold or warm, and that sometimes people will make coffee so hot so you cannot really taste the coffee. I can agree with that because every morning my host mom makes me a cup of coffee, and sometimes I will admit I am moving a little slower than normal and my coffee gets cold. Even though my coffee gets cold because I am moving slow, it still taste the same as it would if it was warm or hot. I don't really know what kind of coffee it is, but whatever it is it is good. I will find out before I leave Costa Rica and make sure that I take some of it home with me even though I have already sent four bags worth of coffee home.

Another thing that I have learned while I have been down here in Costa Rica is that there are all kinds of coffee whether it be organic, dark, light, or whatever other differences there are. Two main species of coffee beans are Arabica and Robusta. According to anothercoffee.co.uk robusta beans are grown in lower altitudes and have a high caffeine content, and also robusta beans account for about 30% of the worlds production in coffee beans. Robusta beans have a stronger flavour and have a woody aftertaste. Arabica beans according to anothercoffee.co.uk are grown in higher altitudes, 1000 to 2000 metres, but they consist of a lower caffeine content. Since Robusta beans account for 30% of the worlds production of coffee beans this means that Arabica beans account for about 70% of the worlds productions of coffee beans.

Moral of the story is don't always turn away from something because you do not like it at first. Give it another chance, and who knows you might like it.

No comments: